JOIN THE BARRIE HOCKEY REFEREE'S ASSOCIATION
Individuals interested in officiating Minor Hockey must review the information below prior to clicking on the Apply Now button at the bottom of this page.
As with any form of employment, officials are selected based on an application process dependent upon the needs of the Barrie Hockey Referee's Association.
- Minimum age of 14 on or before December 31st of the current calendar year.
- Officials who are also players and who have a known history of verbally abusing referees; will not be considered. Additionally, players known to have a history of incurring playing suspensions will also be turned down as rules dictate that players, while under suspension are not eligible to referee. These cases will be examined on a case-by-case basis by the Referee-in-Chief.
- Officiating requires a great deal of time and flexibility. Players at the Competitive level may not be suited for this due to the time commitments required by their respective teams.
- New officials are required to be available a minimum of two weekends per month and must attend mandatory mentoring sessions and meetings.
- All new officials must attend and certify at an OMHA Clinic.
- Officials selected to officiate with the Barrie Hockey Referee's Association MUST attend a BHRA on-ice session.
- Submit Online Application
- Participate in an on-ice skating session.
- Attend and participate in an information session.
- Applications received before March 15th will be considered for the next season. All others will be held on file. Our goal is to have the process completed by April 30th to allow for clinic registrations.
NOTE: Candidates MUST participate in all three steps in order to be considered for membership.
Experienced Officials/Transfers from Other Areas:
- Complete application form.
- Email the BHRA Chair after applying.